Organised by Rural Press Events this quest has launched many Country Music careers in Australia. Prizes include a recording contract, the use of a car for 12 months, fuel card, the making of a video clip, a trip to Nashwillea guitar, and promotional exposure through Australia’s monthly country music magazine Capital News and other publications in the Rural Press stable.
For the past 32 years, Star Maker has provided a crucial launching pad for many of today’s big Australian country stars, including Lee Kernaghan (1982), James Blundell (1987), Keith Urban (1990), Gina Jeffreys (1991), Beccy Cole (1993), Brendon Walmsley (1999) and, more recently, with popular new stars Travis Collins (2004), Samantha McClymont (2005), Cat Southern (2006), Kirsty Lee Akers (2007), Talia Wittmann (2008), Liam Brew (2009), Luke Austen (2010), Luke Dickens (2011) Bob Corbett (2012) and the new 2013 Toyota Star Maker Winner Kaylee Bell.
About Toyota and the Tamworth Country Music Festival
Toyota is a proud sponsor of Star Maker and the Tamworth Country Music Festival.
Toyota has a long and proud history of supporting rural and regional Australia through country music festivals, environmental initiatives and grass roots sporting programs.
Since 1993 Toyota has been involved with the largest music festival in the southern hemisphere, Australia’s own Tamworth Country Music Festival.
Taking place over 10 action-packed days, the Festival attracts over 50,000 people and provides support for emerging musical talent in rural Australia; an outlet for buskers; and brings some of the biggest music acts to town which in the past have included The John Butler Trio, Lee Kernaghan and Kasey Chambers. Toyota’s dedication to the country is unwavering. Each year Toyota Country Hats line heads in Tamworth’s Peel Street while HiLuxes, Prados and LandCruisers fill the camping grounds.
Capturing the heart and soul of the nation, Toyota continues to be involved in a number of key initiatives of the Festival including the oldest and most prestigious music talent search program, Toyota Star Maker, Toyota’s Concert in the Park, the Golden Guitar Awards as well as the Toyota Cavalcade.
This is a reflection of its commitment to rural Australia. Money raised from the Toyota Concert in the Park provides meaningful assistance and support to local and rural communities and long-standing Toyota customers across Australia.
Toyota Star Makers 1979-2013
1979 Grand Junction 1980 Tommy Miller 1981 Leanne Douglas 1982 Lee Kernaghan 1983 Vic Lanyon 1984Transferred to January '85 1985 Great Divide 1986 Jane Maddick 1987 James Blundell 1988 Jenine Vaughan 1989 Craig Robertson 1990 Keith Urban 1991 Gina Jeffreys 1992 Warren Derwent
1992 Warren Derwent 1993 Beccy Cole 1994 Clint Beattie 1995 Tanya Self 1996 Darren Coggan 1997 Lyn Bowtell 1998 Kate Ballantyne 1999 Brendon Walmsley 2000 Grant Richardson 2001 Kylie Sackley 2002 Kieran Lancini 2003 Todd Williams 2004 Travis Collins
2005 Samantha McClymont 2003 Todd Williams 2004 Travis Collins 2005 Samantha McClymont 2006 Cat Southern 2007 Kirsty Lee Akers 2008 Talia Wittmann 2009 Liam Brew 2010 Luke Austen 2011 Luke Dickens 2012 Bob Corbett 2013 Kaylee Bell
2013 Toyota Star Maker prize package
• Use of the title Toyota Star Maker 2013 Winner;
• Recording of a full album with Australia’s top musicians and a leading producer;
• 12 months use of a brand new, fully-serviced Toyota motor vehicle;
• A fuel card for the 12 months after winning Toyota Star Maker;
• 50 copies of the prize album for personal distribution;
• Distribution and promotion of at least two tracks to radio and other media;
• Production of a professional video clip of one of the tracks by an award-winning director;
• A Maton acoustic guitar;
• Fender products;
• A Shure legendary performance microphone from Jands;
• Media promotion including monthly exposure in Australia’s monthly country music magazine Country Music Capital News, media exposure in the Directory of Australian Country Music;
• Photographic portfolio with Image Design Photography including hair and make-up styling by Plush Hair Designs;
• Networking opportunities with leading industry personnel;
• Sponsor commitments including National Tree Day;
• An album launch at the Hats Off To Country Festival, Tamworth NSW in July;
• Guaranteed performance with the Wests Entertainment Group Tamworth;
• Guaranteed performance bookings at a designated list of events including the Tamworth Country Music Festival, National Music Muster at Gympie, Deni Ute Muster, Urban CM Festival at Caboolture, Mildura Country Music Festival, Mud, Bulls & Music at Jimna plus a special showcase performance at the Toyota Star Maker Grand Final in 2014;
• Return air tickets to Nashville for the CMA Festival in June 2013 courtesy of Chris Watson; and
• A performance at the annual CMA Global Artist Showcase at the legendary The Stage in Downtown Nashville, Tennessee, USA.